Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sixty-three

To be or not to be.

To be one moment, and not the next. It seems strange.

Is this the fear I’ve always heard everyone feels? Am I feeling the fear of death at last? It doesn’t feel like fear.

Maybe I don’t know what fear feels like. I’ve always heard everyone fears death, but I’ve never feared it.

It’s not because I’m fearless. I fear pain. 

Everyone fears pain, so there’s no reason to fear death, because death ends pain. Only the living feel pain.

Everyone fears losing those they love, so there’s no reason why I should fear death, because I’ve already lost everyone I love.

Everyone fears the unknown, so there’s no reason why I should fear death, because I know what death is. 

Death is nothing. I was nothing before I was born and I’ll be nothing again after I die.

Maybe it seems strange to me because I’ve lived long, and am used to living. If so, I've lived too long. It's life that's strange. 

No comments:

Post a Comment